Broccoli cheese soup is one of the yummiest treats you can make, and you can make it in your Vitamix blender. This soup is incredibly easy to prepare, it is ready and only one hour, and it is absolutely delicious. This is serious comfort food, and you may find yourself making several batches just so you can keep eating it.
Even if you don’t finish it all, broccoli cheese soup stays good for days in the fridge and you can continue snacking on it until it’s gone. You can keep the soup vegetarian by using vegetable stock instead of chicken stock, and you can make it healthier by using the cashew cream.
And even though there is no heavy cream used in this soup, it still comes out very creamy and thick. This soup really does have a rich and decadent taste to it, and it even looks like a professional dish from an expensive restaurant.
In this version of the recipe, you are free to use big chunks of broccoli or small chunks, it all depends on your preferred soup style. You can even use stocks so that you don’t waste any food, but if you prefer, florets are okay too. Keep in mind that anyone who doesn’t like broccoli will still love this soup since it is so creamy and cheesy.
When it comes to optional additions, you may enjoy some spices like smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, or mustard powder. These are not mandatory to put in the soup, but they could spice it up a bit if you have the spices on hand and like a little bit more kick with your cheese soup. In fact, the cayenne pepper will not even make the soup hot, but it definitely adds a scrumptious kick.
Don’t forget to use a quality cheddar cheese that you yourself have grated. The flavor won’t be there in a cheap cheese, and it will really pay off to use premium stuff. Extra sharp is recommended, but I don’t recommend using any cheese that comes pre-grated in a zip-top bag, as it just doesn’t incorporate that well into the recipe.
Making the Best Broccoli Cheese Soup
I highly recommend going over all the ingredients twice to make sure you don’t miss anything. The entire process shouldn’t take you more than a half-hour. The best part is that you get to use your handy Vitamix blender to make most of the soup.
- 2 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 3 Cups Broccoli
- 2 Tablespoons Cashew Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Diced Onion
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheese
- Dash of Salt & Pepper
- First combine your vegetable broth, your cashew cream, your broccoli, and your onion into your Vitamix blender. Then you will begin to blend on the lowest setting while gradually increasing to the highest speed until the mixture is pureed and smooth.
- Once the first part of the mixture is smooth, you will need to add the remaining broccoli and then pulse a few times to make sure you keep the texture.
- With your mixture complete, pour it into a medium-sized saucepan and cook on medium-low heat for roughly 20 minutes. Make sure you stir several times and don’t forget to stir in the cheddar cheese near the end until the cheese is melted.
- Turn off the heat and season with salt and pepper until you are satisfied. Now you are ready to serve and enjoy.
Keep in mind this particular recipe is designed For a premium Vitamix blender. You can definitely adapt it to a standard blender, but it is better used in a high-powered blender like a Vitamix.
You can use frozen broccoli in the recipe, with both stems and florets, but you can also use fresh broccoli if you steam it a little first until it is tender. The same goes for the raw onion, which you can definitely use – but cooking it until soft will help the texture of the soup.
While cashew cream is called for, you can use whatever kind of cream you want. Cashew cream is healthy and provides an extreme level of creaminess, but you don’t even need to use it if you don’t want, as the cheese will make the soup pretty creamy on its own.
Bonus Vegan Broccoli and Cheese Soup Recipe
As a little bonus, here is a great vegan broccoli and cheese soup recipe that you can make in your Vitamix blender in under 10 minutes. This dish is gluten-free, full of healthy ingredients, and very simple to make.
This is not quite as cheesy of a soup as the first recipe, but it does go great with some leafy garnish and croutons. It also does not require any cooking or heating, so you can eat the soup right away cold. It has only 176 calories, it’s low in fat, and all you need to do is throw the ingredients straight into your blender.
You can enjoy this soup as an afternoon snack, you can use it as an appetizer before a big meal, or you can even store it in your freezer and bring it to lunch with you whenever you want a healthy meal.
- 1 Large Onion
- 250 Grams of Broccoli
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 6 Tablespoons Yeast Flakes
- ½ Tablespoon Mustard Powder
- 750ml Vegetable Broth
- 100 Grams of Vegan Cheese
- Place everything except for the cheese into your Vitamix blender and blend until the perfect texture.
- When the soup is ready, pour into bowls and then stir in the vegan cheese. You can save some cheese to use as decoration.
Vitamix Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe: Final Thoughts
These are some of the tastiest broccoli cheese soups that you can make using a blender. If you want soups with more flavor, more ingredients, and a little more heat, you will need to do some preparation on the stove and a bit of cooking.
However, it is always handy to have your Vitamix blender around to mix all the ingredients, even if you are making the majority of your soup on the stove.