Smoothies are a quick and easy way to stay healthy while enjoying a cold, refreshing drink. There are diets and plans built around smoothies which help many people lose weight and maintain a healthy body. But sometimes, smoothies can take up too much time to make, which discourages many people from pursuing a smoothie a day. This is where the neat trick of smoothie cubes comes into play.
What are Smoothie Cubes?
Smoothie cubes are basically frozen smoothies, with a unique twist. You can create these cubes in bulk for as many instant smoothies as you need in the near future. They are blended and complete smoothies, frozen and chopped up into smaller cubes. Once the need arises, you can take them out of the freezer, blend them with some liquid, and enjoy your smoothie as if it were made fresh. Depending on the size of the cube, you’re going to need 4 – 6 cubes to make one serving.
Read More: Best blender for smoothies
Benefits of Smoothie Cubes
Smoothie cubes are a much more convenient option in comparison to making a smoothie every single day. The best time to have healthy smoothies is in the morning, but most people are tight on time when rolling through their morning schedule. Rather than having to make your smoothies from scratch, having ready-made smoothie cubes makes the whole process quicker.
Take one day out of every week to blend some smoothies in bulk, and simply leave them in the freezer until you want to make them again. This gives you speedy solutions to some fruity cravings. It’s also a better option than purchasing café-made smoothies, which have additional sugar and flavoring added to them. You have complete control over what goes into your smoothie, and your smoothie stays fresh when frozen for a good month.
How to Make Smoothie Cubes
To make smoothie cubes, you first need to know how to make smoothies. Fortunately, neither of these processes are complicated.
First, you combine all your smoothie ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Since you’re going to freeze these, you’ll already have condensation over the cubes once they’re removed from the freezer. Adding too much water or liquid will result in a runny mess. For this reason, you have to add the minimal amount of liquid it takes to turn your smoothie into an ice cream-like paste.
Now there are two ways you can go about making your cubes. The first option is to pour your paste into a container or dish and let it settle. Place it in the fridge to chill so it has a robust shape. Once it’s chilled enough, you can pull it out, cut it into smaller cubes, and store it in the freezer until further use.
The other way to go about this is by pouring your smoothie mix into an ice tray. That way, you have perfectly portioned smoothie cubes and less work when you make the cube batches. Be sure to remove them from the ice trays and into an air-tight container to preserve their taste and nutritional value.
Tips for Smoothie Cubes
Here are some tips to get the most out of your smoothie cubes.
- Rock-solid smoothie cubes in a blender are not a good idea. Take your smoothie cubes out of the freezer and into the fridge a night before you intend on making them. This gives them enough time to thaw while also being perfectly cool for you in the morning.
- If you enjoy toppings on your smoothies, leave these until after you’ve made cubes. Toppings such as fresh leaves and fruit cuttings are useless if you freeze them with the rest of the smoothie. You can also use smoothie cubes as a base and add additional ingredients afterward if you want to be creative with your recipes.
- Make sure you use the smoothie cubes within the month, otherwise their nutritional value and content will start to go bad.
- Once you’ve thawed the cubes and are ready to frost them, remember these three liquids you can add:
- Yogurt: This will make your smoothie thicker as well as sweeter
- Water: This will make your smoothie a little bland and more like juice
- Milk: This will make your smoothie creamier in taste and texture
- These smoothie cubes can be made out of any smoothie you want! Healthy, fruity, green, and superfoods can all be preserved through freezing.
Smoothie Cube Recipes
Lastly, here’s a delightful smoothie recipe you can try out and turn into smoothie cubes. These will maintain their original taste and delight even after they’re defrosted and blended once more. Once you’ve gotten the hang of smoothie cubes, you can turn any of your favorite smoothie recipes into smoothie cubes!
Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- 2 cups of strawberries
- 1 banana,
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup of milk (any milk goes)
Step 1: Cut up your strawberries and wash them before blending. You don’t have to chill anything since these are going to be made into smoothie cubes anyway.
Step 2: Combine all your ingredients in your blender and blend until the mixture is a thick paste. Use half of the given yogurt and milk listed above so the smoothie is not too runny.
Step 3: Pour your mixture into an ice tray and leave in the freezer for four hours. After four hours, move the smoothies into an air-tight container.
Step 4: When you want to make the smoothie, take out 4 – 6 cubes and add the remaining half of the yogurt and milk to the blender. Blend until smooth.
Step 5: Pour into a glass and enjoy!
Smoothie Cubes: Final Thoughts
Smoothie cubes are not a hard concept to understand. You’re simply preserving the smoothie until you want to make and enjoy it! Turning the smoothie into cubes makes it easier to divide and portion whenever you make more smoothies. You also save so much time making a smoothie every morning with ready-made smoothie cubes in advance! So, give it a try, make some smoothie cubes, and enjoy the full benefits of a healthier lifestyle.