They say a clean gut is the key to strong immunity. And also a guarantee of vitality, excellent health, youth, beauty, and a good mood!
That is why scientists have devoted more than one scientific publication to the methods of a colon cleanse, describing the causes and consequences of such a phenomenon.
Meanwhile, nutritionists assure that you can, in fact, cleanse the colon yourself. All you need to do is include the right foods in your diet, which can be as simple as having colon cleansing smoothies once in a while.
Read More: Best blenders for smoothies
Colon cleanse smoothies
One way to cleanse the colon is with the help of smoothies. Instead of eating a plate of vegetables or a bowl of fruit, you simply add fruit and vegetables to a blender, after which you can drink your daily portions of healthy food as a smoothie.
Below 5 recipes for making colon cleanse smoothies will be explained.
Chocolate chia seed colon cleanse smoothie
This recipe uses the superfood chia seeds, so the smoothie will promote your health. The seed is rich in omega-3, fatty acids that contribute to better health. Chia seeds also contain a lot of antioxidants – making it long-lasting – about 20% protein, and it is a source of fiber.
Chia seeds have many health benefits. Examples include weight loss (low in calories), increased energy levels, support for brain and heart health, stabilizing your blood sugar level, and of course cleaning the colon.
The seed is best used in gel form for your smoothie so that it becomes much creamier. To make a chia seed gel, put 1 part chia seeds and 1 part water in a small container and place it in the freezer for 20 minutes. For those who don’t like bananas: the gel can also be used as a banana replacement!
- 1 cup of milk or milk substitute of your choice
- ¼ avocado
- 2 tablespoons with heaps of chia seeds or chia seed gel
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- A boat of Celtic sea salt
- ½ tablespoon honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ cup fresh or frozen berries
- 1 serving of chocolate protein powder
- 1 tablespoon maca
Combine all ingredients in your blender jug and let your blender work its magic until the desired density is reached. And voilà, your chocolate-flavored colon cleanse smoothie is ready to drink!
Breakfast colon cleanse smoothie
This breakfast smoothie has a recipe that is filled with powerful ‘super food’, foods that are good for your health. The smoothie should trigger the ‘elimination process’.
This means that this fiber-rich smoothie, with cleansing lemon, raspberries, and linseed will help you detox by removing toxic substances from your colon as quickly as possible.
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon linseed
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 banana
- ¼ cup spinach
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup ice (less if using frozen fruit!)
Place all ingredients in the jug of your blender. However, do this in the order in which they are on the list of ingredients! Then start the blender, wait for it to finish (depending on the type of blender you own) and you’re done!
An additional advantage: the raspberries in themselves already have many advantages. They are not only cleansing and detoxifying, but also anti-rheumatic.
In addition, they help protect cells against aging, ulcers in the mouth, soothe stomach complaints, and reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases!
Read More: 14 healthy breakfast smoothie ideas
Green colon detox smoothie
Green detox smoothies come in all kinds of forms. They are highly nutritious and designed to support your body’s natural detoxification efforts.
The green detox smoothie discussed here differs from the other green smoothies by the addition of the superfoods chlorella and ‘protein queen’ spirulina.
Chlorella is very nutritious, mainly thanks to the fact that it contains chlorophyll, the green dye of plants. This substance contributes to the production of oxygen, promotes tissue growth and repair, and helps to purify the blood.
Chlorella also supports the absorption and removal of heavy metals, such as lead and arsenic, from the colon.
Spirulina gets its nickname from the fact that it contains 70% pure protein. Plus, it’s loaded with essential vitamins and minerals that contribute to your health. Like chlorella, spirulina also helps to remove heavy metals from your body.
- 1 cup of water
- The juice of ½ lemon
- 1 fresh or medium frozen banana
- 1 cup kale, stems removed
- 1 teaspoon spirulina
- 1 teaspoon chlorella
- A dash of Celtic sea salt or another high quality salt
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 3-5 ice cubes (optional)
- ¼ cup coriander
- ¼ cup arugula
- The juice of ½ lemon
- ½ cup fresh or frozen pineapple or mango chunks
Put all the ingredients in the pitcher of your blender, and let your blender blend the ingredients for 30-60 seconds until it’s smooth. Within a short time, you will have a very nutritious smoothie, full of vitamins and minerals!
Read More: Best blender for green smoothies
Aloe vera lemonade colon cleanse smoothie
This smoothie is based on aloe vera, a superfood that is filled with vitamins and minerals. It also contains many essential amino acids, which can be very useful if you want to lose weight due to their role in fat burning in your body.
In addition, the aloe and citrus fruits of the smoothie stimulate and facilitate the elimination of toxic substances from the colon.
Aloe vera has an impressive list of health benefits. It contributes to improved digestion, cholesterol levels, and detoxification process, strengthens your immune system, helps against diabetes and cancer, and is good for your skin (if used internally and externally) and your heart.
- 1 cup of water
- ½ avocado
- 1 medium aloe vera leaf, filleted (about ½ cup), or ½ cup aloe vera gel
- ½ lemon, peeled and deseeded
- ½ medium lime, peeled and deseeded
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (superfood!)
- A dash of Celtic sea salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 4-6 ice cubes (optional)
- 1 cup kale, spinach, or another type of (green) vegetable
- 1 kiwi, peeled
- 1 tablespoon flax or chia seeds
Put all the ingredients in your blender and let them blend for about 30-45 seconds until it forms a smooth consistency.
If you would like to add coconut oil, and you don’t have a powerful blender, it is more convenient to add all the other ingredients first and only then add the coconut oil. Then let it mix for another 5-10 seconds to avoid lumps.
Goji berry colon detox smoothie
Goji berries are the ultimate superfood, and have recently become increasingly popular in the health and nutrition world. Not only are they very tasty on their own, but they also contribute to a delicious taste of fruity smoothies.
In addition, thanks to a Chinese tonic herb, the berries are thoroughly nourishing.
Consuming the goji berry brings a number of other benefits. The berry contains a complete protein (with 19 different amino acids, and all 8 essential amino acids) and many minerals, strengthens the immune system and vitality, improves vision and blood quality, and naturally stimulates the body to create more HGH (human growth hormone).
- 1 cup of water
- 1 fresh or frozen medium banana
- ½ cup fresh or frozen berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, etc.)
- ¼ cup goji berries
- A little honey or maple syrup
- ½ tablespoon cocoa powder or broken cocoa pieces
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds or chia seed gel
Finally, place the ingredients in your blender and let them blend for 30-45 seconds, or until your desired smoothie density is reached. This way you have a delicious, fresh smoothie in a short time!
The large intestine and its role
The large intestine is the lower part of the intestine. Its responsibilities include absorbing water from the incoming food and forming and holding feces until it is excreted.
In the body of a healthy person, this process takes 12-18 hours, and the accumulated stool does not linger anywhere.
Meanwhile, their remains can appear on the walls of the colon over time for various reasons. They are retained in the folds or bends of the colon and often turn into stool stones (pebble poop) over time.
When such a problem appears, the skin and nervous system are the first to suffer. The person develops a rash or allergies, as well as headaches, lethargy, drowsiness, and irritability. After this, the liver, kidneys, and all other organs and systems suffer.
Colon cleaning methods
The most common ways to cleanse your colon are:
- Diet correction
- Regular exercise
- Laxatives or digestive improving medication
A good diet is one of the easiest and most effective ways to cleanse the colon, as eating the right food, along with an active lifestyle can help to regularly self-clean the colon naturally.
Refrain from a passive lifestyle and exercise regularly. In turn, a sedentary lifestyle is a common cause of constipation and stagnation of feces.
Laxatives can be used to aid constipation and to prevent feces from collecting in the colon for too long. Medications to improve digestion can be used to ensure stools can pass easier.
7 reasons to cleanse your colon
In fact, cleansing this part of the gut has a number of benefits. By regularly cleansing your colon in this way, you can get rid of:
- Digestive problems and intestinal complaints, especially due to constipation and bloating
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Becoming overweight
- Skin problems
- Memory problems and inattention and minimize the occurrence of stress
- Boost your immunity
- Improve the absorption of vitamins and nutrients
16 natural colon cleansers
- Yogurt. You can replace it with kefir or other fermented milk foods. The value of these drinks lies in the presence of special bacteria that support gut health and improve gut motility.
- Vegetables, fruits, and berries. They all contain fiber. It improves intestinal motility and helps remove toxins from the body.
- They affect the colon in the same way.
- Nuts and seeds. As sources of antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber, they not only improve the overall health of the body but also have a positive effect on digestion and peristalsis. They can be consumed on their own or as part of yogurt, salads, and smoothies.
- Ginger. It contains a special substance – gingerol, which helps improve digestion and remove toxins from the body. This is why this ingredient is part of many weight-loss diets.
- Drinking enough fluids (about 2-2.5 liters per day) is the most effective way to cleanse the entire bowel.
- Fresh juices. They can replace water. Orange or apple is best for cleansing the bowels.
- Citrus, orange, lemon, etc. It is a source of antioxidants and excellent digestion. You can make juice from them, use them alone or together with honey and water.
- Aloe Vera. This herb improves intestinal motility and relieves skin and digestive problems. It is usually added to smoothies.
- Cereals and grains. They contain a huge amount of fiber and a minimum of calories and cholesterol. Because of this, they improve intestinal motility and have a beneficial effect on the whole body.
- It not only has a beneficial effect on the cardiovascular system, but also on the digestive system.
- It is a source of omega-3 fatty acids and other nutrients that improve bowel function and help remove toxins from the body.
- Green tea. Its value is that it not only helps to improve digestion but also to cleanse the liver and lose weight.
- The main difference with other fruits is that it contains ample amounts of omega-3 fatty acids and other fats. They not only improve intestinal motility but also lubricate its walls and improve the permeability of food.
- Broccoli. One of the best remedies for cleansing the liver and intestines. You can replace it with other types of cabbage.
- Spinach. Like all green leafy vegetables, it helps improve digestion.
How else can you cleanse your colon?
- Limit the consumption of cottage cheese and fat milk. They cause bloating and constipation.
- Quit alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine. They poison the body and reduce digestion.
- Limit the consumption of sweet and starchy foods. These foods contribute to constipation.
- Drink a glass of cold water on an empty stomach.
- Do an abdominal massage every now and then.
- Sports and exercise.
- Cut down on snacks. They reduce the feeling of hunger but do not provide the intestines with enough food, which is necessary for the formation of such an amount of stool that can cause intestinal peristalsis.
- Reduce the consumption of meat, especially fat. Proteins and fats contribute to constipation. You should only eat meat with lots of vegetables.
According to doctors, the effect of such a diet comes within a week. And with regular use, you can enjoy the results achieved for a lifetime.
Colon cleanse smoothies: final thoughts
If you want to cleanse your colon, it is important that you maintain your energy level. You need energy to keep the processes in your body going that will cleanse your colon.
However, skipping breakfast will leave you with a lack of energy, and as a result, the cleansing process will fail.
To properly cleanse the colon you need to ensure there is a steady flow of healthy food going into your digestive system. This means that your colon can regularly empty itself, taking all of the bad stuff out of your body.
If you are looking to give your colon a well-needed cleanse, then these colon cleanse smoothies will do just the job.